A criminal charge can change your life forever.
If you are arrested, or if you learn you are the target of a criminal investigation, you need expert legal representation immediately. The stakes are far too high to act without the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
People often make their cases far worse by acting without an expert criminal lawyer. They say things they think will help, but find their statements being used against them. They contact a witness or person claiming to be a victim and find themselves being accused of tampering with a witness. Rather than asking for an attorney, they make a false or misleading statement out of fear and find themselves being charged with obstruction of justice. They panic and hide and find themselves being denied reasonable bail because they are considered a flight risk. They talk to family and friends only to have prosecutors subpoena these people to force them to testify about what was said.
- You have a right to remain silent. Don’t talk to anyone.
- Ask for a lawyer.
- One with experience.
James Patton has over 30 years of criminal law experience in state and federal court. He is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney.
Mr. Patton regularly represents clients in a wide variety of cases in state and federal court including complex charges of fraud, terrorism, bribery, sexual assault, racketeering, child pornography, drug distribution, conspiracies, assault and murder.
He also represents targets of complex investigations involving grand jury subpoenas, document production, federal and state task forces, wiretaps and informants.
Mr. Patton has the experience you need to mount an aggressive defense. He works to minimize the consequences his clients face and he actively seeks reductions in charges, dismissals or favorable plea bargains whenever possible.
Should negotiations fail, however, Mr. Patton is more than ready to go to trial. Mr. Patton’s skill and experience in the courtroom has led to his certification by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Certified Criminal Trial Attorney.
Notable cases include:
- Acquittal at trial for a client charged in federal court with being part of an international drug conspiracy. All other defendants were convicted.
- Reversal on appeal before the United States Court of Appeals of a conviction for possession with intent to distribute more than 155 kilograms of cocaine. The client was released from an eleven-year sentence and all charges were dismissed.
- Acquittal at trial for a client charged with aggravated assault in the shooting of a police officer.
- Plea deals for child pornography and distribution cases.
Mr. Patton offers a free initial consultation and accepts evening and weekend appointments as needed.